Hey friends! I’m so pumped to share this mouthwatering black bean burger recipe with you today. As a nutrition coach on a mission to create crazy delicious and good-for-you recipes, I know you’re going to love these hearty, protein-packed patties.
Get ready to sink your teeth into the ultimate veggie burger that not only tastes AMAZING but is also super simple to throw together.
In this step-by-step guide, you’ll discover how to make black bean burgers that are flavorful, protein-rich, and a healthier alternative to beef.
Why Bean Burger?
Bean burger is a great vegan option if you are trying to add more veggies to your diet. I love experimenting with different legumes and beans, but black ones are my favorite. All the beans and legumes are packed with essential nutrients.
Black beans are really good for your heart! They’ve got a ton of fiber, potassium, folate, vitamin B6, and other healthy plant nutrients. And with no cholesterol, they can help lower the total cholesterol in your blood. It’s pretty neat that just eating more black beans can cut your risk of heart disease!
And if we’re getting burger-specific, protein-packed black beans hold together superbly as a base for veggie patties. They have the ideal texture and density when mashed and baked.
Now let’s get started and learn this easy step-by-step recipe!
Ingredients and Their Health Benefits
All the ingredients are packed with healthy sources.
For the patties:
- Black beans – High in fiber and protein to keep you full and energized. Their meaty texture makes them the perfect base for a hearty veggie patty.
- Carrots – Boast antioxidants like beta-carotene for healthy skin and eyes. When finely grated, they help bind the patties.
- Onions – contain potent anti-cancer compounds called flavonoids. Their crunchy texture adds a nice bite.
- Garlic – Fights inflammation and boosts immunity thanks to allicin compounds. Provides a zing of flavor.
- Chickpea flour – Packs an impressive protein punch for plant-based muscle building. Also acts as an egg substitute to bind the patties.
- Salt, black pepper, red chilies – Essential seasonings every burger needs! Salt enhances overall flavor, pepper offers subtle heat, and chili powder kicks it up a notch.
- White vinegar – Brightens flavors and helps the chickpea flour thicken as a binder when mixed with water.
- Red chilies – Add a kick of heat and a vibrant red color. Balances out the other flavors with a spicy zing.
- Lemons – Brighten up the flavor profile with some zesty citrus. The fresh sourness cuts through the other ingredients. Adds moisture to keep the patties juicy.
For the sauce:
- Greek yogurt – Probiotics aid digestion. As a condiment, it offers creaminess and a touch of tang.
- Sriracha – Would it be a burger without this beloved fiery sauce? Brings the heat and dynamic flavor.
- Fresh cilantro – Packed with antioxidants to combat aging and disease. Its fresh, citrusy flavor perfectly cuts through rich dishes like these burgers.
- Lime juice – Delivers a bright, tropical zing. The acid helps balance the creaminess of the yogurt sauce while also allowing the cilantro to pop.
black bean burger: Step-by-step
First, dice up an onion, garlic, and red chilies – you can’t go wrong starting a burger with those aromatics!
Then grate up a carrot to add some sweetness and bind everything together.
Then add onion and grated carrot into a hot pan with olive oil. Let them hang out until they’re all nice and soft. We’re talkin’ 3-5 minutes. Season with just a pinch of salt and pepper.
Sauté diced red chilies and garlic into the mix for a minute.
Next, throw your cooked black beans into the veggie mix after draining away that liquidy stuff. Let everything mingle for another few minutes – you want those beans to soak up those flavors!
Don’t forget to mash all the ingredients a little bit. Then the fun starts!
Sprinkle in some chickpea flour, spring onions, soaked flax seeds for binding power, smoked paprika for warmth, salt, black pepper, and cumin for a little kick. Mix it all up!
Divide that mixture into 6 sections and shape it into patties, because baby, we’re making burgers over here!
Get your pan hot with a drizzle more olive oil. Fry those patties for 7-8 minutes per side until beautifully browned.
Lastly, sandwich in a bun and deck out however you want! My favorite toppings are – pickled cucumber, fresh tomato, red onion, and baby Romano lettuce. Yum!
Also, I adore a spicy sriracha with Greek yogurt, diced cilantro, and a squeeze of lemon juice. But classic burger toppings never fail either!
Now it’s time to take a bite!
If you’re not limiting your calories, go ahead and add some melty dairy-free cheddar or smoky vegan bacon to your burger for extra flavor and texture.
For lighter options, try topping with sliced avocado or guacamole sauce, caramelized onions, or sautéed mushrooms for savory depth.
Are black bean burgers healthy?
Yes! Black bean burgers are highly nutritious, and packed with protein, fiber, iron, antioxidants, and more.
What is a black bean burger made of?
Black beans, onions, carrots, seasonings like salt, black pepper, and chili powder, binders like chickpea flour, or breadcrumbs (sometimes eggs).
What to eat on the side of a black bean burger?
Great options: baked sweet potato fries, mixed green salad, roasted veggies like cauliflower or broccoli.
Is a black bean burger healthier than a beef burger?
Absolutely – it has way more fiber and nutrients, and no saturated fat or cholesterol like beef burgers do.
Can I use other beans for the burger?
You can, but black beans hold together the best. Other beans and legumes like kidney, pinto beans, or chickpeas would also work well.
And there you have it, my plant-loving friends – my bomb black bean burger recipe that’s been a HUGE hit with veggie lovers and carnivores alike!
These hearty, protein-packed patties check all the boxes. They’re crazy flavorful and good for you, packed with fiber, iron, and antioxidants galore. Not to mention affordable, easy to make, and better for the planet.
The best part is you can customize them to your taste. Add more heat with a few shakes of hot sauce, pile them high with your fave burger toppings, or keep it simple with just a smear of that cilantro lime yogurt sauce. I’m telling ya…magic!
Maybe these black bean beauties will even inspire you to Meatless Monday more often. Let me know if you give this recipe a whirl or have any questions. Happy cooking!
If you are pumped and ready to cook more delicious meals, check out my other nutrient-packed recipes! Remember, one bite at a time, and see you soon!